Friday 9 December 2011

Dec 9

Mathew 1:18-21
Joseph Accepts Jesus as His Son
This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” 

Michael Card  wrote "Joseph's song" - it makes me cry every time I hear it - I love the sentiment and feeling behind it.  What a wonderful man Joseph must have been.  I imagine him as a big bear of a man who is gentle and loving. I hear this in my head whenever I read these verses or think about how Joseph must have felt.  He is a neglected part of Christ's story, but he played a major part of Jesus' childhood, as his father.
Listen to the song and see if you are moved too. This is my favourite Christmas song.
Joseph's song
How could it be this baby in my arms
Sleeping now, so peacefully
The Son of God, the angel said
How could it be
Lord I know He's not my own
Not of my flesh, not of my bone
Still Father let this baby be
The son of my love

Father show me where I fit into this plan of yours
How can a man be father to the Son of God
Lord for all my life I've been a simple carpenter
How can I raise a king, How can I raise a king
He looks so small, His face and hands so fair
And when He cries the sun just seems to disappear
But when He laughs it shines again
How could it be

No comments:

Post a Comment