Saturday 19 March 2011

Day 11: Don't Litter!

The Picture

The Verse Numbers 35:33-34
You shall not pollute the land in which you live.... You shall not defile the land in which you live, in which I also dwell; for I the LORD dwell among the Israelites."
The Thought
I am so aware of how we are destroying our world.  My heart aches every time I walk past litter in the beautiful countryside, or see the sunshine hazy through the smog.  If you look at the worlds "beauty spots" they are slowly being ruined with buildings, roads and litter.  We all strive to find unspoilt areas to holiday to, and then proceed to destroy them.
I have been trying to use my car less, although I must confess that I struggle with this in winter.  David cycles to work every day and I want to walk or run to mine more than I do.  With the ever increasing price of fuel, this may be made a bit easier though! 
Last lent I tried to follow a daily challenge which involved incorporating an element of "greenness" into your life each day - taking a light bulb out of a multi-bulb light fitting, walking to the shop, avoiding boiling full kettles for 1 cup of tea.  You know the sort of thing.  I have managed to continue with some of them, but it is so easy to slip back into bad habits.  Especially with the driving (note the guilt).  Now that the weather is warmer, I can hopefully start walking around more.
We seem to have so little regard for God's creation.  With the current radiation crisis in Japan, the Gulf oil spill from BP, I find man's intervention on earth so disturbing.  We are always trying to make our lives easier and somehow the earth seems to pay the price. 
My heart breaks every time I go past a little furry pile of road-kill.  We are so determined to race through life in our cars, regardless of the decimation of nature we leave behind.
How God's heart must ache as he watches us destroy his beautiful world.  
Pay attention to the impact you make.  It is the best you can do.
The Prayer
Oh Lord, I am sorry for the way we use and abuse what You have given us.  Make me aware of the way I am wasting resources and destroying life with my actions.  I want the world to be the beauty spot You created.

No comments:

Post a Comment