Wednesday 30 March 2011

Day 22: Blessed are those who mourn


Verse: Matthew 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 
Thought

To me, the mourning spoken of in this verse is not about mourning a physical death.  This is a calling for me to be repentant and see not only the consequences of my wrongdoing but into the real offences done to others.   I need to become aware of my personal offence to God and the pain that I have brought to others by my sinful behaviour.

When Joe has done something mean or naughty, or had a fight with one of his friends, I can see from his pale face and trembling lip that he is truly sad.  When he knows that he has been the one in the wrong, he hides himself in his room and weeps copiously.  And when he admits his “wrongdoing” to me and apologises to the offended party, I will cuddle him and love him and try to make him smile again.  When he is defiant and refuses to acknowledge it, we end up with general unhappiness in the house!

So it is with us and God.  We need to recognise our offending behaviour and if we come before God in apology and repentance, He forgives us and comforts us.  When we are defiant and wrongly justify our behaviour, it leads to unhappiness in the house.  It doesn’t lessen God’s love for us, but it is a barrier to a gentle and loving relationship with our father.

Prayer

Father God, I come before you as a humble sinner.  I am truly sorry for the things that I do that cause you unhappiness and pain.  give me the strength of character to recognise my wrongs and to try and be the person you long for me to be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment