Monday 14 March 2011

Day 6: The Sea

The Picture

The Verse Psalm 104:25
There is the sea, vast and spacious, teeming with creatures beyond number - living things both large and small.

The Thought
The seaside is my number one place to be!  I grew up near the sea and we could go down to the beach after school.  I would go and sit on the beach and think about stuff - sort out my thoughts and just find peace at the sight of the enormous Atlantic ocean that didn't stop until it got to South America. The power of the water crashing on the beach, the rhythmic roar of the waves, the smell of the salt, the warmth of the sun. I love the sea in all it's moods, in all it's different guises.  It can be a friendly sea to play in, or a mighty destructive force as we have just witnessed in the Tsunami in Japan. 
As for the creatures of the sea, I used to scuba-dive and have dived in various parts of the world.  Seeing the underwater world is fascinating, even when you find yourself cowering behind a rock as a shark swims gracefully past!  And being near dolphins or whales is an experience hard to beat. 
The sea provides us with food, with a route for travelling between continents, with power, with pleasure. 
When I need space to be alone with God, near the sea is my first choice!  Sadly, here in Bristol I don't have easy access to the sea, just a muddy river channel, but if we are going away or out for the day, my family always know my first choice! Our God created the sea and all that lives in it.  He created creatures that live down in the dark depths of the oceans, creatures that no-one seas and yet they are unique and precious to Him.
What magnificence, what greatness!  How awed am I by the hugeness of our God!

The Prayer
Lord God, I thank you for the ocean and for all that lives in it.  Thank you for it's raw power and beauty.   I recognise that the sea can be a dangerous and scary thing too.  We pray for those affected by the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan.  Lord, may the world come together to provide aid and help as the Japanese people try and rebuild their lives after this devastation.

No comments:

Post a Comment