Sunday 13 March 2011

Day 5: The Path of Life isn't always straight

The Picture

The Verse Psalm 25: 4-5
Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour, and my hope is in you all day long.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
                                                                                 - Proverbs 3:5,6

The Thought
Have you ever been for a walk and noticed how paths change?  This is typical in a walk through the English countryside.  Some have been clearly defined – very easy to see and with clear markers.  Some are more difficult and have been covered in debris.  Some once were tracks but have grown over and are difficult to follow.
We somehow always expect to be able to follow a straight path when we become Christians, We imagine life will be easy and things will be set out in front of us.  But life is full of curves with sharp bends and the mystery of what is around the corner.  
I can't read maps and somehow am always in charge of the route when we go out.  So we often take wrong turns and it all ends in growling!  I bought David a SatNav a couple of years ago and our journeys are much more peaceful, straightforward and we get to our destination a whole lot quicker!  Every now and again a mad moment comes over me and I challenge the SatNav and persuade David to follow my directions.  We quickly revert to the old  arguments and getting lost!  We need to ensure that we have God set as our SatNav and trust that He will lead us to our destination on the best route!
Do you sometimes feel that God’s paths are not always clear?  You don’t always know where you are going?  Trust in God’s guidance- even when you can’t see it.

The Prayer
 Father God, help us to set you as our guide through life and to trust in the route you have set for us.  Sometimes we feel we know better and stray from the path, which always leads to trouble.
Give me the discipline to listen to and to follow you

No comments:

Post a Comment