Sunday 3 April 2011

Day 26: Mothering Sunday

Picture

Poem - Author Unknown

You Were There
You were there when we took our first steps,
And went unsteadily across the floor.
You pushed and prodded: encouraged and guided,
Until our steps took us out the door...
You worry now "Are they ok?"
Is there more you could have done?
As we walk the paths of our unknown
You wonder"Where have my children gone?"
Where we are is where you have led us,
With your special love you showed us a way,
To believe in ourselves and the decisions we make.
Taking on the challenge of life day-to-day.
And where we go you can be sure,
In spirit you shall never be alone.
For where you are is what matters most to us,
Because to us that will always be home...
.

Thought
My mother died in 2006 and I miss her loads.  Especially today.  When I look at her in the photo above, she is so thrilled for me to be experiencing motherhood.  I remember being more than a little awed to realise that as I love that little boy in my arms, so she loved me.  It wasn’t until I became a mother that I realised the power of parental love.
On Mothering Sunday we all think of our mothers.  Some of us with love, some with sadness, some with no emotion at all.  As mothers we have an enormous responsibility in the way our children grow up and their approach to relationships. Today it is appropriate that we think about the spiritual effects of touching and being touched by those we love. I was lucky to have been blessed with a happy and safe childhood.  It is the experience of closeness and the loving touch of parents which makes us feel safe and confident. When that is absent, when there is no love or security, children find it harder to flourish.
So God also embraces us with His love.  Although it may not be a physical hug, He embraces us in so many ways, not least of all through the embraces of others.  Or the love and hugs that you give.
So happy mothering Sunday.  Don’t let the pressure get to you….
Prayer
Thank you God for our mothers.  And for those of us who are mothers, we thank you for the privilege of parenthood.  Help us to bring up our children to know and give love.  May we provide the safe and secure life that You give us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment