Monday 11 April 2011

Day 35: Bringing up children

 Picture

Verse:  Proverbs 22:6
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

Thought
I think that new parents may look at this verse with a light heart and think that if they provide the good Christian home, all will be well and they will have perfect children from babyhood, through the tweens and teens and into adulthood.  I don’t think so!  I have too many nieces and nephews to believe that!  I am aware of what is coming with my way with my gorgeous but stubborn and determined boy!  I am more than nervous!       
But I do think you can instil basic core behaviours that will stand them in good stead.  Of course teenagers rebel and become foul beasts, but as they grow older they become “normal” again and those basic mores that you taught them are hopefully intrinsically part of their being.  The temporary `boys will be boys' pattern that they are following now will soon be changed for a `faith of the Fathers' blueprint for the rest of their lives. But I am not so unrealistic to think that this is a definite outcome.  I know of children from loving Christian families who seem hell-bent on self-destruction.  They wilfully turn against God and become atheists. 
So what is the answer?  We can only do our best as parents.  We need to help our children develop their natural talents and we need to give them the help and direction in order to do this  We can only hope that if we  keep them in line with their abilities, they will reach their full potential as adults and fulfil the destiny God has for them.       
The comfort from Proverbs 22:6,  is that there is a promise of sorts for parents.  While there is no guarantee of every child becoming a child of God, there is a general promise of salvation.  Hopefully, our efforts are going to be rewarded with the salvation and spiritual well-being of our children. We can try to ensure we give our children every opportunity and the rest is between them and God.          

Prayer   
Oh Lord, it is such a big responsibility being a parent and I do pray that you would guide David and I as we raise Joseph.  Give us the wisdom we need and the strength of conviction to instil Your values into him.  We pray for your protection  over him and that he would grow up knowing and loving you.

No comments:

Post a Comment