Wednesday 13 April 2011

Day 36: Are you an ant?

Picture

Verse: Proverbs 12:11
The one who stays on the job has food on the table; the witless chase whims and fancies.

Thought
Hmmmm.  I start a new job next month, working on one day a week on Fridays.  I work 3 days at the moment and will now be working 4 (easy life, I know).  This was one of my 'Free' days to catch up on house-work, shopping, friends etc and now I will be working.  And through the summer!!  I guess I will have 'food on the table' but a part of me is yearning for the loss of chasing my 'whims and fancies'!
If you read this verse you may recognise Aesop's story of the grasshopper and the ant. While the ant slaved away and worked very hard all summer, the grasshopper mucked about in the sunshine and wiled away the hours, playing and having fun.  But when the winter came, the ant had plenty of provisions laid up for his family, and the grasshopper had nothing but vague memories of sunshine.  
We have God-given abilities and I believe we are expected to work hard for what we have.  And we can earn wealth and 'things', but we shouldn't have the expectation that these things will just be given to us.  God rewards us for working hard, in life and in our faith, and the end result will be a table laden with His blessing.   

Prayer
Lord God, thank you for the abilities you have given me.  Thank you for my job.  Lord I pray that I may give my best to this job and enjoy the challenges ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment